Tech Transfer FAQ

Technology Transfer & Commercialization FAQs

What is technology transfer?

Technology transfer is the process of transitioning scientific findings from one organization to another for the purpose of further development and/or commercialization. This activity complements the process of publishing research findings.

How does technology transfer fit within HJF’s mission?

When Congress authorized HJF’s creation in 1983, lawmakers identified three aspects of its mission:

  • Carry out medical research and education projects under cooperative agreements with USU
  • Serve as a focus for the interchange between military and civilian personnel
  • Work for the mutual benefit of military and civilian medicine

These pillars, which encapsulate HJF’s public service mission and serve as the basis for our technology transfer services, ensure that the results of military medical research are made available for society’s use and benefit.

What are the typical steps in the technology transfer process?

  • Research and collaboration
  • Pre-disclosure/invention disclosure
  • Assessment
  • Protection
  • Marketing
  • Licensing 
  • Commercialization
  • Revenue

How do I know when I have an invention?

An “invention” can be anything from new material, a device, a research tool or a mouse model, to a novel algorithm and even a new use for a known drug. We encourage you to contact our office by calling 240-694-4028 or emailing so we can talk through your idea and how we might best proceed.


Invention Disclosure

Material Transfer Agreement

What if I want to talk to a third party about my confidential information?

Our office can quickly execute a confidential disclosure agreement to ensure that your ideas remain confidential and that any information disclosed is not deemed to be a public disclosure for the purposes of protecting your idea. 

What is an invention disclosure form and when should it be used? 

An invention disclosure form (IDF) is a confidential document written by a researcher for use by our office to determine whether patent protection should be sought for the described invention. Inventions are disclosed to our office by submitting an invention disclosure form to . This is the first step in beginning the process of invention assessment, protection, development and commercialization. 

Two invention disclosure forms (IDF) are available:

  • JOTT/USU IDF: for researchers at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
  • HJF/non-USU IDF: for HJF and other researchers who work outside USU.

When should I file an invention disclosure?

It’s never too early to talk to our office about an invention that you think might have commercial potential which include reagents that might have utility for the research community. You should disclose your invention to the technology transfer office before the work is published/publically presented, or protection of the invention could be affected.

What is a material transfer request form and when should it be used?

The first step in obtaining or sending tangible research material to a third party involves submitting the material transfer request form to our office at This will enable our office to protect intellectual property associated with the material.

Four material transfer agreement (MTA) request forms are available:

  • USU MTA: for researchers at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
  • AFRRI MTA: for researchers at USU’s Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute
  • USMHRP MTA: for U.S. Military HIV Research Program scientists and program managers 
  • HJF MTA: Programs for Foundation scientists

Contact us by calling 240-694-4028 or emailing

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now